Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Bottom of the Ninth



Greeting followers!

2010 was an epic season for baseball. I was exposed to so many wild, unique, and interesting experiences this season that have resonated throughout the chronicle of this blog. All of you joined me on a journey that will be talked about in baseball circles for a very long time. All in all, I visited seven new parks for a total of thirty-eight games.

At the end of 2009, I speculated to all of you that I had gone to my last baseball game for two years. I was just entering the Peace Corps, and it seemed like this hobby of Baseball Roadtrips would end. But it is funny how happenstance and circumstance creates opportunities. I was medevacked to DC in April and used the opportunity to see almost ten games in three separate parks there. By doing that, I made a horrible situation tolerable for me. While, in hindsight, I'm glad I am not in the Peace Corps anymore, if it weren't for their bumbling, bureaucratic mentality, I wouldn't have seen those games. I went to so many games at Nationals Park that I felt like it was just as much a home for me in DC as my hotel was. Prince George's Stadium in Bowie was an adventure to get to and experience. Baltimore's Camden Yards soured me at first, but I grew on it the second time I went.

When I first came up with the concept of Baseball Roadtrips, I had always wanted to go down to Southern California and see some games there. I had the opportunity to do that this season. In what became the headlined roadtrip of the summer, I had the opportunity to see three new parks down there, hang out with a good friend, and see some awesome sights. Being able to see games in Anaheim, San Bernardino, and San Diego were really a treat. All of them were incredible venues.

When talking about spontaneity, the Vegas trip would sum it up. My friend and I had always wanted to go there, but, for a variety of reasons year in and year out, we just never got around to go. When I finally landed a job, we decided, almost on a whim, to go. Factor in the that the Beavers were playing Vegas that weekend made the temptation to go that much higher. The Vegas trip was eye-opening in so many ways for me. It really threw into proportion the lives and materials we have here in Oregon and in the baseball world, overall. While I indicated in this blog that I come home with mixed emotions, I believe that it was for the best that I finally got to experience Vegas and everything that goes along with it. Cashman Field was one of those sights that escape the public eye and offers an intriguing glimpse into the REAL Vegas.

When speaking of opportunity and chance, the Ems season fits right in with it. I was lucky enough to secure a position of employment at the park which eventually grew into, what I think, is the best job in Minor League Baseball. Working the manual scoreboard was so much fun and I can see myself doing that job for many, many years to come. At first, I hated PK Park, but the park really sweetened up for me and, like I said earlier, I now am comfortable in calling it home.

With all the optimism that Baseball Roadtrips created this season, there is a palpable pall that has been cast. The departure of the Beavers is incredibly disappointing and fills me with a lot of anger. For the second time in two years, I have watched as corporate elites have taken away from the citizenry something good and just. While the Ems move to PK Park actually turned out pretty good, in my opinion, I still am a fan of the old ballpark and everything that was associated with it. In Portland, the loss of Triple-A baseball is really an awful thing. But, unlike last year, I am trying to do something about this mentality in Oregon. I have decided to run for political office to represent what is the common good and what the people want. This situation in Portland has inspired me to stand-up to corporate interests and root out ineffectual and impotent politicians from their position of power.

Well, what is the slate for next year? I have landed a wonderful job here in Eugene working for the YMCA, and I see myself working for them for a very long time. Being able to bring home a monthly paycheck that pays a living wage allows me a little more freedom and gives me a little more money to spend on stuff I enjoy, like Baseball Roadtrips. So, next year, I would definitely like to make a trip back east and see Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame. While that could be tacked onto a larger more elaborate roadtrip, seeing Cooperstown is definitely something that I want to do. After that, who knows. We'll see what the money situation looks like and where my heart desires to go.

A lot of people read this blog with regular frequency, and I thank all of you for doing so. I always enjoyed sitting down and throwing out updates on the road about what I was experiencing and doing. It made me feel like all of you were on the road with me and sitting in the ballparks with me.

I will talk with you all next year, and, for the final time in 2010...

Always take on a 3-0 pitch ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment