Saturday, September 4, 2010

The End of One Era and the Beginning of a New One



Hello followers!

As the 2010 baseball season quickly draws to a conclusion, I have some final thoughts on the inaugural season the Eugene Emeralds had at PK Park, and the upcoming games tomorrow and Labor Day in Portland.

I will admit to all of you that PK Park grew on me. At first, I was really bashing the venue. But as the season wore on, I became accustomed to calling PK Park the home of the Emeralds. The Ems organization did a wonderful job of covering up all the Oregon logos and Nike swooshes to create a park that was worthy of being called "home." With that being said, I appreciate the opportunity to operate the manual scoreboard for the last half of the season. I think this operation only added to the ever-increasing charm of the park. I came to hold the manual scoreboard as the last vestige of classicism in a park that is designed to be ultra-modern.

Aside from the park, I absolutely LOVE the concept of day games. While the attendance may not have reflected this sentiment, I infer that if the organization gives the concept time to develop next year they will be as popular with the community as they are with me. It just seems so much more traditional to have baseball played on a sun-splashed afternoon.

The Emeralds aren't off scoff-free with my assessment. I feel that the organization was too focused on big picture concepts like forced promotions and themes rather than small, minute details of ballpark operation that tend to make all the difference. Simply painting an "I" for innings and an "O" for outs on the scoreboard fell on deaf ears. Getting propane tanks filled, having food thawed, and picnic logistics also were problematic at times. What stuck out as the most obvious error were the prices. $3 to park, $9 for a seat, $5.50 for a hot dog just is too much for the Minor Leagues. Considering how Minor League organizations are always catering to the family atmosphere, the Ems sure didn't make it affordable for families on a budget.

Here are some ideas that the Ems may want to consider to boost excitement for the park:

1.) Build a dedicated Emeralds Hall-of-Fame along the walkway on the third base side. This pathway is not used very much, and the addition of such an attraction will create an interesting diversionary activity for patrons.

2.) Scrap the pre-game picnics in Levi's Landing and make it a dedicated beer garden. Underneath the large awning, have a full-service bar. Control access to the Landing to people 21-and-over and restrict all alcohol sales to there.

3.) Either use the video board or build a manual board that shows updates of Major League games in action. I know of no Minor League parks that do this, and I think it would be kind of cool to create something not done elsewhere.

4.) Get rid of the protective netting that stretches the length of the dugout. So many people have complained to me that the netting restricts their view of the action and that they would gladly pay more attention to the game if it meant an unobstructed view.

5.) For day games, make all seats a straight $5. This would be a very attractive promotion for families wanting to get-away for the day and not have to spend a fortune to do it.

Even with the negatives present, I think the Ems will go back and evaluate the season and see what worked and what didn't. I'm confident that they will see the negatives that I see, and make the necessary reforms. I end the season confident and optimistic. This is a new era for the Ems in a new park, and I am comfortable in saying that.

With a new era starting in Eugene, Portland Beavers baseball at PGE Park is ending. I will be attending the last two games the Beavers will ever play at PGE Park tomorrow and Monday. As all of you probably remember, the last game at Civic Stadium was very emotional for me. This whole situation in Portland is sort of same story but different chapter. Last year, we lost a stadium, but, at least, we still kept a team. In Portland, not only are we losing a ballpark to a massive renovation for soccer, but we're losing the team. It is a double-whammy.

To be frank, I am simply still in shock and I don't think that it has set in yet. Civic Stadium was a "base-of-operations" for my baseball roadtrips, but PGE Park was always an easy and convenient baseball roadtrip. I did trips up there so many times that they became almost routine. To think that it will ALL be gone just hasn't hit me yet, but I'm sure it will in the next forty-eight hours.

I am scheduled to meet with an avid Beavers fan and the author of a fan website dedicated to the Beavers. I have never met this person before, but our connection was made on Facebook. We're meeting for lunch after I get into the city and I hope to talk with her about the current state of affairs (considering that there is zero coverage of the Beavers in the local papers) and what she may be feeling about all this. It should be a very interesting glimpse into the life of a dedicated Beavers fan who actually lives in Portland.

I will update the blog once I get back. Keep an eye out on Twitter and Facebook too.

Always take on a 3-0 pitch ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment